Matt Springer has been giving presentations around San Francisco about home earthquake preparedness since 2008 (for more information about the presentation, go to his earthquake preparedness website). For those who cannot attend in person, a streaming version of the presentation is available online. This Quaketips blog is devoted to posts ranging from technical "how-to" articles to more philosophical "should-you" topics. New articles will be posted at most about once a month, so people who subscribe won't be subjected to lots of e-mail.

The suggestions contained in this website and in Matt Springer's presentations will substantially reduce the chances of an earthquake causing damage or injury, but cannot guarantee that problems will not still occur due to factors including but not limited to extreme seismic conditions, unexpected structural problems, bracing material flaws, or inadequate installation. This material is based on personal experience, research, and discussion with safety experts; Matt Springer does not have an official emergency management background other than standard community volunteer training. The information contained herein does not necessarily reflect the views of UCSF or the San Francisco Public Library.

Friday, December 21, 2018

How I braced a monster wardrobe and protected Narnia

As always, click on the images for full sized versions
This is one of those articles I do every now and then about how I have solved some special challenges.  I have a freakishly large free-standing wardrobe from Ikea that I’m using for storage of various things; I won’t bore you with the details but it’s gigantic.  In fact, I walked into it the other day, kept walking past coats, found myself in an icy wasteland with English kids and a talking lion—oh wait, wrong story...  At any rate, suffice it to say that I’m using this wardrobe in such a way that it defies straightforward seismic bracing (preventing it from falling over, preventing the doors from swinging open, and preventing the contents from falling apart), and it took a while for me to figure out how to make it reasonably safe.

Here’s my story, in case any parts of this overall solution are relevant to problems being faced by readers:


How do I stop the massive doors from swinging open?

These doors are about 7.5 feet tall, with lots of loose objects behind them.  If they want to open, they aren’t likely to be thwarted by the typical quake-resistant cabinet latches like push latches and Murakoshi latches about which I’ve written.  The tall doors are floppy enough that they are unlikely to be controlled by a push latch in any one place, and even the Murakoshi latch at the top would probably not be very effective.  The double door is the most problematic because of all of the contents piled up behind it, so I concentrated on that section first.

The first thing I did was to figure out a simple way to essentially clip the two handles together so that it would prevent the two doors from swinging open away from each other.  I did not want it to be a pain to open the doors though.  I tried a bunch of types of clips but they were either too inconvenient to use, or too pliable to actually hold against much force.

My solution was either a stroke of alien genius or luck or a bit of both.  I noticed at the hardware store a very long-shank padlock, and if I leave off the lock part and just use the shank, this hardened metal U shape easily slides over the two handles and does not bend at all.  I just slip my finger under the top of the U, slide it up and off, and then drop it back into place when I close the door.  I can even do it without leaving fingerprints on the mirrored doors!  Why, a pre-language ape could do it!

That’s great, and doesn’t look bad at all; but it’s an awful lot of pressure for a single pair of door handles to hold, so I tried adding a latch to work in concert with the clip holding the handles together.  I suspect push latches just aren’t effective here, but after experimenting with those Murakoshi latches, I got a few more and added a pair to the top of these wardrobe doors.  Alone, they would be ineffective, but together with the clip, I think it’s pretty secure.  I used the white ones, which go better with the grey door and white back than the brown ones do.

For the single door, there is nothing to clip, but there are a couple of strong shelves that won’t be going anywhere.  I decided to install two brown Murakoshi latches on the same door, one at the top and one at a shelf (orange and yellow arrows) so there would be two different sections of the door being prevented from opening.  It really seems to work; I can hear that comforting “thunk” sound that you get whenever you open a door with the Murakoshi latch, but I’m hearing it from two different heights simultaneously.


How do I stop the contents from falling apart and out?

Well, suffice it to say that I did not make matters any easier for myself by arranging the contents of the wardrobe.  As you can see from the first photos, I have a chest of drawers INSIDE the wardrobe, some musical instruments on the chest, and a hulking shelf laden with heavy music (no, I don’t mean it’s all Mahler and Wagner, I mean that sheet music weighs a lot).  I would not want the chest of drawers to topple and crash through the doors, and I wouldn’t want the shelf to collapse under the weight of the music and come down on the instruments.

For the shelf, I was less concerned with the shelf itself breaking because it’s a really thick strong wooden shelf and it doesn’t seem like it is in any danger of bending or collapsing.  I’d be more concerned with the little pegs holding it up on both sides, as I’ve already written about experiences with these things failing suddenly and shelves crashing down even without an earthquake.

If you look closely at the pictures, you can see two different kinds of pegs under the shelf.  The brown ones are the pegs that were there originally, but they have been turned around.  These have a screw and a plastic peg at right angles to each other, and the screw was attaching it to the bottom of the shelf while the plastic peg was in the hole; and we know what can happen to plastic pegs in holes bearing weight!  (I couldn’t find a photo of the exact peg, but the photo shown here on the left is of a metal version; pretend this is brown plastic and you’ll get the picture.)  I kept the original pegs but turned them so that the plastic pegs were sticking up into the holes underneath the shelf, and the thick metal screws were going into the holes in the sides of the cabinet.  Then, still worried about all that weight on three screws per side that might not be great with shear force, I added three new plastic supports with metal pegs like the ones shown on the right. (Note: if you do something like this, the holes to drill for the additional pegs won’t be at exactly the same level as the pre-drilled peg holes; you’ll just have to bumble your way through it like I did.)

Now how about that dresser.  This is holding a lot of stuff and is very heavy.  It’s an Ikea dresser (yep, I put it together all by myself; took all evening but it was worth it!) and ironically, the Ikea dressers now come with kits to brace them to walls and little inserts that say you must do this to prevent little kids from climbing up the front and getting seriously injured or worse.  And of course, we all brace our dressers to the wall in Earthquake Country, right?  And even though it is behind closed doors that were secured as I just described earlier, a large enough earthquake could still make this dresser want to fall forward and it might just punch through the doors.  But it was not practical in the wardrobe to brace the dresser to the back because that back is just flimsy backing board, not structurally sound.  I ended up screwing in metal L brackets on one side and on the bottom front as pictured in the accompanying figure.  Yeah I know, this is not the strongest configuration, but it was all I could do and I think that in combination with the secured doors, it will prevent the dresser from falling forward.


How do I prevent this massive thing from falling over onto my head?

That’s an important question because my desk is about 5 feet in front it the wardrobe; if it falls away from the wall, it’s headed right toward me!  The wardrobe already had two of the cabinet straps from Quakehold/Ready America at the top, and I added a third, all in wall studs of course.  Because this is so large and heavy, I didn’t just rely on the adhesive holding the fuzzy part of the Velcro strap to the top of the wardrobe; I screwed in the little short wood screws that come with some of the straps so that the assembly was more securely attached to the furniture.  You can kind of see the screws in the middle photo and one is clearly shown in the righthand photo.

I’ve been a bit concerned, however, that this was larger and heavier than anything I had ever braced and I wasn’t sure whether the straps would really hold it.  They probably would, but then I heard about something, ironically, from my next door neighbors, of which I had not been aware.  The Japanese have poles that go between the top of tall furniture and the ceiling, compressed, so that the back of the top can’t get any higher, which it would need to do if the furniture was falling away from the wall.  I could not find these on Amazon, etc., but a search brought up one Japanese source and fortunately I was able to successfully order them, despite return messages being in Japanese.  In case you can’t find them, here is a link to the product that works currently; if it changes, try www.rakuten.co.jp.  The instructions are all in Japanese; you can figure it out somewhat from the diagrams but make sure you realize the following:

(1) Find solid ceiling.  The instructions seem to want you to find wall studs in the ceiling rather than hollow drywall; my ceiling didn’t have anything at regular intervals but there was about a foot of solid material above the ceiling right next to the wall so I was able to place them under that solid part.  Either way, you want them bracing the back of the cabinet rather than the front, because if it tips over, the back goes up and the front goes down.

(2) You are supposed to line up the different parts of the telescopic tube and screw in a sharp screw right through them, to keep the two parts at a specific length just shorter than what it needs to be.  Then you turn the ring around the bottom to extend it and put pressure between the furniture and the ceiling.  I do not know how tight it should be; I made it as tight as I could by hand without really cranking on it, because I don’t want it slowly cracking the drywall over time.

(3) There’s a red line on the bottom tube showing where it is over-extended; you don’t want that red mark to be exposed when it is put together or it won’t be a strong.


Finished and braced!

So here is the final product.  I think it looks great, and while I put a LOT of effort into this, I do feel better about knowing that it is not going to be a massive death trap in a quake.  In fact, I am feeling pretty confident about this now, and I suspect that if my entire home were to completely fall apart in a giant quake, this wardrobe would still be standing right here intact and closed and upright; gateway to Narnia and all.  Although, if you are expecting any English kids to emerge back out of the wardrobe, you should probably take that clip off of the handles…


>>back to blog

7 comments:

  1. This was helpful in giving me some ideas on how to do do our tall wardrobe. I was thinking of going with the two murakoshi latches, but I noticed that our shelves are inset from the frame by 1.5". I could install the top one but the second set I imagine would be problematic. Not sure what else I can try. If you have any ideas, that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having trouble picturing in my mind how that inset works. You mean there is a gap because the front of the shelf stops 1.5" before the door closed position? I don't think there is a way to put a photo in the comment field, but if you can take a picture and e-mail it to matt.springer (at) ucsf.edu (hopefully it's obvious what the address really is; I just don't want to invite robot spam), then I can see what I can suggest and post an answer here.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for e-mailing the photos. I can see your dilemma; that's a challenging situation. Any of the good quake-proof latches (touch latches, Murakoshi latches, and the Epco latch I mentioned in the comments of my Murakoshi latch article seems reasonable but perhaps less less sturdy) should be able to give you a secure latch at the top, but tall doors latched just at the top might fail.

      I don't know what the front of your doors looks like; mine have those handles that I was able to use with the long U-shaped lock. However, even if yours has handles in front that can be held together, your cabinet looks like it is probably in a more design-conscious spot than my utilitarian wardrobe so you might not want to put some ugly catch on it. If you DO feel comfortable putting an ugly catch on the outside, you can go all the way and use hardware designed for that purpose: either a sliding bolt or some other kind of catch lock like what I have shown in https://quaketips.blogspot.com/2012/08/at-last-helpful-hints-on-installing.html pretty far down, showing the cabinet in which a blender is visible. It's not pretty, but it also is self-contained and you don't need exterior handles to do it. Just be aware though that a sliding bolt lock that extends from one door to the other can actually be useless if the action of the doors opening and moving apart pulls the bolt out of the lock in the process. It has to be long enough, or tight enough, for that to not happen.

      You might also look at that same article where I show a shelf that doesn't extend all the way to the door (the photos show white latches viewed from the bottom). That gap was not a deep as yours is though, and would only work with the push latches because I don't think the Murakoshi latch would be amenable to sticking out like that.

      The only other thing I can suggest is to replace the shelf with one that looks like the old one but sticks out further, and cut a section out to accommodate the bar. I'm not sure how practical that is, but it's worth mentioning.

      I can't really think of anything else to suggest; good luck!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'm also wondering if I can install two push latches per door - with one on top and one latch mounted vertically on the side wall of the cabinet instead of the shelf. Have you used two on one door before? I'm wondering if it's difficult to position/install to ensure that it can open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually not clear whether this wardrobe is a double-door set like mine, or a single door. I was picturing a double door (the photos that you e-mailed don't make it evident), but if you have a side wall on which a latch can be installed, then that sounds like a single door cabinet, right? I have installed push latches vertically on side walls before, like in that push latch article where there is a photo from my desk hutch cabinet of a latch on the side wall. This has been necessary when the door has been narrow enough that the arc to close it is too steep for the push latch to work, so I maximize the arch by putting it on the side wall rather than a shelf. That is, with the push latch, the peg has to come relatively straight into the catch and can't come in at too much of a diagonal.

      However, I would really worry about installing two push latches on one door, because if you don't get them exactly perfectly synchronized, one will be still partially closed as the other opens.

      It's also not very feasible to combine a push latch and a Murakoshi latch on one door because pushing in on the Murakoshi latch to disengage the push latch probably runs into physical obstruction.

      Delete
    2. It looks like a two door but functions like a one door because there's a dividing wall in the middle. I was worried about the double push latches just as you pointed out. Could be a hot mess. Thanks for all the input! I will keep working on it!

      Delete

COMMENT POLICY: Comments on blog posts can be very useful, raising issues and adding helpful information. However, some people attempt to post generic comments with embedded links to irrelevant websites. Due to this comment spam, all submitted comments will be verified by me first so there will probably be a delay before legitimate comments get posted. If your comment is taking a while to show up, it probably just means that I have not checked my e-mail yet. NOTE THAT COMMENTS THAT ARE ACTUALLY ADVERTISEMENTS WILL NOT BE POSTED.