Matt Springer has been giving presentations around San Francisco about home earthquake preparedness since 2008 (for more information about the presentation, go to his earthquake preparedness website). For those who cannot attend in person, a streaming version of the presentation is available online. This Quaketips blog is devoted to posts ranging from technical "how-to" articles to more philosophical "should-you" topics. New articles will be posted at most about once a month, so people who subscribe won't be subjected to lots of e-mail.

The suggestions contained in this website and in Matt Springer's presentations will substantially reduce the chances of an earthquake causing damage or injury, but cannot guarantee that problems will not still occur due to factors including but not limited to extreme seismic conditions, unexpected structural problems, bracing material flaws, or inadequate installation. This material is based on personal experience, research, and discussion with safety experts; Matt Springer does not have an official emergency management background other than standard community volunteer training. The information contained herein does not necessarily reflect the views of UCSF or the San Francisco Public Library.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

No Gripes about Gripeez: A way to use clear gripper pads to stick down display objects resting in stands

One of the types of display items on bookshelves and mantles that is difficult to brace is the common plate or other flat object that rests in a folding or non-folding stand, like the ones shown in these photos.  This can be tough because depending on the object and the shape of the stand where the object rests on it, it can be hard to affix the display object to the stand, and even harder to affix the bottom of the stand to the surface.  Sure, you can put a massive gob of quake putty on each part but you’ll see it and it can look ugly (no offense to quake putty).  Sometimes, these objects are light and having them fall would not be a problem, but for those that you want to prevent from flying and damaging themselves or something/someone else, it would be nice to be able to stick them down.


In some cases, I have used putty and simply scraped away as much as possible so that it isn’t obviously visible, as shown in the first set of photos.  But I have some thin geode slices sitting on clear plastic stands, and while quake putty was fine to stick the backs to the stands, even small dabs of putty on the stands’ feet looked bad showing through the clear plastic, as shown in these photos of the blue geode slide.  I would usually use quake gel for clear objects but quake gel is runny, and doesn’t work well with very small feet of stands; it’s better for broad surfaces.


I solved this problem with one of my new quake-proofing friends, Gripeez.  I’ve written about these magic clear sticky gel pads before and I keep coming up with new uses for them.  (I have no financial ties to the company, and I imagine there are other similar products from other companies.)  In this case, I cut small rectangles of Gripeez that were the size of the feet of my stands and put them under the feet, with quake putty sticking down the back rest of the stand that can’t be seen from the front.  It took a bit of finessing to get the sticky things to remain on the feet without twisting as I removed my fingers before placing the stand on the surface, because they kept sticking to my fingers, but I managed to do it.  It looks great!

Click the figures to see larger versions
Because the Gripeez is thick (around 3 mm), the stand feet don’t rest directly on the shelf and the stand can move slightly from side to side, which isn’t ideal, but it seems to be holding this pretty well.  In a large quake, it would probably come off, but I think this would discourage the objects from sliding or flying in a medium quake that might otherwise knock objects off shelves.

I also started using small pieces of Gripeez under the two lower corners of framed pictures if they were on maze picture hooks, to keep them straight, in my previous home.  I used to use putty for that but the putty can leave shiny marks on some flat paint walls, and the Gripeez didn’t leave any trace on the paint in that home.  However, some unexpected home repairs involving water damage have made me need to temporarily remove some of the framed pictures that I hung with maze hooks a few months ago in my current home, and I have found to my annoyance that the little squares of Gripeez that I had cut out and placed under the corners left the paint slightly shadowed, as if it was a little wet.  I was annoyed to see this because the whole point of using these things instead of quake putty was to avoid shiny marks on flat paint, so seeing these shaded areas isn't much better.  In my old home, which had a similar paint job, the Gripeez left the paint absolutely unaffected, so I guess different paints react differently.  I did notice that they are extremely sticky though, so very small squares should still be effective and might leave less noticeable marks.]

By the way, these Gripeez are also really fun to play with; as they are sticky and squishy and stretchy and can offer hours of entertainment to otherwise mature adults, based on personal experience…


>>back to blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT POLICY: Comments on blog posts can be very useful, raising issues and adding helpful information. However, some people attempt to post generic comments with embedded links to irrelevant websites. Due to this comment spam, all submitted comments will be verified by me first so there will probably be a delay before legitimate comments get posted. If your comment is taking a while to show up, it probably just means that I have not checked my e-mail yet. NOTE THAT COMMENTS THAT ARE ACTUALLY ADVERTISEMENTS WILL NOT BE POSTED.