Matt Springer has been giving presentations around San Francisco about home earthquake preparedness since 2008 (for more information about the presentation, go to his earthquake preparedness website). For those who cannot attend in person, a streaming version of the presentation is available online. This Quaketips blog is devoted to posts ranging from technical "how-to" articles to more philosophical "should-you" topics. New articles will be posted at most about once a month, so people who subscribe won't be subjected to lots of e-mail.

The suggestions contained in this website and in Matt Springer's presentations will substantially reduce the chances of an earthquake causing damage or injury, but cannot guarantee that problems will not still occur due to factors including but not limited to extreme seismic conditions, unexpected structural problems, bracing material flaws, or inadequate installation. This material is based on personal experience, research, and discussion with safety experts; Matt Springer does not have an official emergency management background other than standard community volunteer training. The information contained herein does not necessarily reflect the views of UCSF or the San Francisco Public Library.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Do you have a ticking time bomb in your cupboard? Better check what is supporting your shelves!

If it seems like I can be fixated on kitchen cabinets, it’s because they frequently are not on the radar screen of people trying to prepare their homes for earthquakes, but there are actually multiple ways in which they can be vulnerable.  You’ve read many references in this blog to keeping the cabinet doors from swinging open and letting everything fall out, with potentially disastrous consequences, by putting quake-proof latches on the upper cabinets.  I also have occasionally mentioned that quake putty can be used to stick down rarely-used expensive wine glasses in the cupboards, since even if the doors don’t open, the contents can get knocked over and fly around and break inside the closed cabinets.  However, there’s another potential problem, and some of you have it in your cabinets right now!

The shelves.

Yep, those sturdy boards on which very heavy loads of dishes, glasses, liqueurs, etc. are sitting.  Nope, I am not saying that the boards will buckle under the weight, but look for the weak link: what is holding the boards up??

In many cases, those boards are sitting on pegs that fit in holes on the inner sides of the cabinets.  Multiple holes enable you to select the optimal height of the shelf.  I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know... except that some of you have pegs that can spontaneously fail.  Yep, it’s true!

Here’s a true story from my own condo building.  It’s a modern building that was opened in 2007, good quality.  The shelves are supported by plastic pieces that sound like a great idea; they are not only pegs but they include a wide flat support on which the shelf sits, and then a thin piece of plastic sticks up next to the board and around on the top, clipping it in.  That not only supports the board, but also stops it from sliding around.

It turns out that it’s not as smart as it sounds.  A few of my neighbors have had experiences over the last couple of years in which the plastic peg suddenly fails, shearing off where it sticks out from the hole, and people have had shelves and all of their contents spontaneously pancake down in their cupboards with a crash.

In fact, a neighbor experienced this, got a whole bunch of metal pegs, and replaced the plastic supports with the metal pegs to prevent this from happening in the future.  He had a bunch left over and gave me some so that I could do the same when I managed to get around to it, to prevent this from happening to me.

Well, Mr. Preparedness here never got around to it.  A few days ago, there was a clunk in the kitchen that I could not identify and I figured it was something shifting in the drying rack.  Then a couple of days later, I needed to get a tall pot out of the back of the lowest shelf in one of my cabinets, and as I was pulling it out, it was scraping against the bottom of the shelf above it.  Since it’s never scraped before, I was very confused, and a few seconds after I pulled out the pot, that whole shelf, supporting lots of heavy serving platters and ceramic bowls, came crashing down!  It turns out that the clunk I heard before was one of the supports giving way, and the corner of the shelf falling just a tiny bit onto the pot.  When I pulled out the pot, the rest of the shelf gave way.  As a result, I replaced the plastic gizmos with the metal pegs for all shelves that were supporting heavy and/or breakable objects.  Fortunately for me, nothing broke.

Ok, so anyone want to guess what this has to do with anything?  Well, if everyone in my building has cabinets in which the plastic shelf supports are degrading over time to the point that they might spontaneously fail when they are not moving, what do you think is going to happen in a moderately-sized earthquake?  Every shelf support that was going to spontaneously fail without an earthquake, say in the next year, is going to fail when the cabinet and contents start quaking!  Cabinet doors stay closed, expensive wine glasses don’t fall over, but the shelves all pancake and everything breaks anyways.

If my kitchen has plastic shelf support pegs, some of you have the same problem in your kitchen.

You can prevent this Murphy’s Law scenario easily; just check what is supporting your shelves and if they are plastic, replace them with metal pegs before the next quake hits!

[1/5/24 update: I've had queries about the specific pegs I use, so it's worth mentioning that I'm no longer using these paddle-style pegs because I've found others that are still metal but have more useful support platforms.  Some have a hole so that you can screw the bottom of the shelf onto them, if you are concerned about the shelf jumping off of the pegs in a major quake.  Others have a nice top platform with a little extra piece that hugs the side of the shelf and prevents the peg from even sliding out (the first ones mentioned have this advantage also).  I'm adding a photo spread.  These are easy to find in hardware stores or online; just make sure the diameter of the peg matches the diameter of your hole.]

5 comments:

  1. The problem is the hole will get bigger, plastic or metal shelf peg do not matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not these holes; they are drilled into the hardwood. I've never seen them get bigger.

      Delete
  2. Do you know what kind of metal pegs those are? I have the exact same plastic shelf clips in my building and need to replace several that have failed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these flat spatula-style pegs in the article were: 50 Pack Rok Hardware Heavy Duty 3/16" (5mm) Shelf Pin Spoon Shaped Cabinet Support Pegs Holder, Metal, Nickel Finish - ROKSP5N, which I found on Amazon. (I have found that including links in my comments creates problems later so I'm just putting in descriptions.) However, I'm using different pegs these days that are a bit more stable. It's probably easiest if I update the blog post in a little while to show photos of the two types that I'm using now; check back...

      Delete

COMMENT POLICY: Comments on blog posts can be very useful, raising issues and adding helpful information. However, some people attempt to post generic comments with embedded links to irrelevant websites. Due to this comment spam, all submitted comments will be verified by me first so there will probably be a delay before legitimate comments get posted. If your comment is taking a while to show up, it probably just means that I have not checked my e-mail yet. NOTE THAT COMMENTS THAT ARE ACTUALLY ADVERTISEMENTS WILL NOT BE POSTED.